tortuosity

prasanthriver
Hi users,

  I am trying to find the tortuosity of a material(3D) In x,y,z directions.

1)As a first step I skeletonized the pores.
2)I used analyze skeleton in imagej to get the vertexes and the edges.

How do i identify the shortest path from this ? how do i draw all the possible paths in a graph and find the tortuosity  distribution in all three directions?

Re: tortuosity

Sidnei Paciornik
Check http://fiji.sc/wiki/index.php/AnalyzeSkeleton and a comment about
tortuosity within the Detailed Information section.

Good luck,

Prof. Sidnei Paciornik
Grupo de Análise de Imagens e Microscopia Digital
DEMa <http://www.dema.puc-rio.br/> - Departamento de Engenharia de Materiais
PUC-Rio <http://www.puc-rio.br/>
Rua Marquês de São Vicente 225
Prédio Leme, Sala 501L
Gávea - Rio de Janeiro - RJ
22451-900 - Brasil
tel: (55)(21)3527-1243

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM, prasanthriver <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi users,
>
>   I am trying to find the tortuosity of a material(3D) In x,y,z directions.
>
> 1)As a first step I skeletonized the pores.
> 2)I used analyze skeleton in imagej to get the vertexes and the edges.
>
> How do i identify the shortest path from this ? how do i draw all the
> possible paths in a graph and find the tortuosity  distribution in all
> three
> directions?

Re: tortuosity

John Dunsmuir
I would suggest a different approach.  Have a look at "Practical Methods for Measuring the Tortuosity of Porous Materials from Binary or Gray-Tone Tomographic Reconstructions", C.J. Gommes et.al.. AICHE Journal Vol. 55, No. 8.  The iteration count for a 6 connected flooding kernel is used as an estimator for geodesic distance in the pore space.  Dividing the resulting image by the Euclidean distance produces a tortuosity image.  If you are flooding from the top slice to the bottom slice the Euclidean distance is simply the slice number.

If the image is sufficiently large and is a random network then the tortuosities should converge to a solution as distance increases from the seed point or seed plane (usually an image face).  This process tends to overestimate the tortuosity but is still a useful metric.

A plugin that does 6 connected 3D flood filling will work but you will need to modify it to report the iteration count.

Regards,
John D.

prasanthriver wrote
Hi users,

  I am trying to find the tortuosity of a material(3D) In x,y,z directions.
1)As a first step I skeletonized the pores.
2)I used analyze skeleton in imagej to get the vertexes and the edges.

How do i identify the shortest path from this ? how do i draw all the possible paths in a graph and find the tortuosity  distribution in all three directions?

Re: tortuosity

carlo bianco
3d fractal analysis???

________________________________
tortuosity within the Detailed Information section.

Good luck,

Prof. Sidnei Paciornik
Grupo de Análise de Imagens e Microscopia Digital
DEMa <http://www.dema.puc-rio.br/> - Departamento de Engenharia de Materiais
PUC-Rio <http://www.puc-rio.br/>
Rua Marquês de São Vicente 225
Prédio Leme, Sala 501L
Gávea - Rio de Janeiro - RJ
22451-900 - Brasil
tel: (55)(21)3527-1243

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 2:56 PM, prasanthriver <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi users,
>
>   I am trying to find the tortuosity of a material(3D) In x,y,z directions.
>
> 1)As a first step I skeletonized the pores.
> 2)I used analyze skeleton in imagej to get the vertexes and the edges.
>
> How do i identify the shortest path from this ? how do i draw all the
> possible paths in a graph and find the tortuosity  distribution in all
> three
> directions?

Re: tortuosity

prasanthriver
This post was updated on .
Hi Prof. Sidnei Paciornik,

 I have read through it and it looks like it is a measure of 2d tortuosity and also it is a measure of  distance (pixels)between the junction voxels and not the total number of pixels in the entire image

Thanks,
Prasanth

Re: tortuosity

prasanthriver
Hi carlo bianco,

Can you attach some links of papers wheree i can take a look at the 3d fractla analysis??

Thanks,
Prasanth

Re: tortuosity

matghi
Hi everybody,

is the analyzeskeleton plugin  also valid for 2D images?
How can I have a number expressing tortuosity starting from the Euclidean distance number? Is there any range expressing for example 0 = low grade of tortuosity 1= high grade of tortuosity?

Thanks a lot

Matilde

Re: tortuosity

Mohammad
HI,

Where you able to find answer of your question.