Quantcast

smooth edge

Jin Tao
Dear All,

I have an image which was processed from lung CT slice. As you can see on
picture 1 attached below, there's a gap on the right-bottom part of the
lung. The idea picture should be like picture 2, whose edge is smooth. Is
there any way to fill the gap?  Fill holes method did not work, because
it's not a hole.

Thank you for your help.

best regards

Picture 1:
[image: Inline image 1]

Picture 2 (idea picture, no gap)
[image: Inline image 3]

image.png (6K) Download Attachment
image.png (6K) Download Attachment

Re: smooth edge

Michael P Ellis
How do you discriminate between whats should be filled in and what should not?

Drawing the convex hull around the shape you can see that there are two potential “gaps”.

If is i

If it is a measure of smoothness, it would still seem less that obvious a to what would constitute a gap.

Here is a smooth spline fitted to the object boundary.

Perhaps you will need some interactivity to manually select the gaps you want to be “filled in”

You could write a script that lets you nominate with a mouse click the gaps between the object outline and the convex that you want filled in.

— Michael Ellis

> On 14 Feb 2017, at 15:02, Jin Tao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> I have an image which was processed from lung CT slice. As you can see on
> picture 1 attached below, there's a gap on the right-bottom part of the
> lung. The idea picture should be like picture 2, whose edge is smooth. Is
> there any way to fill the gap?  Fill holes method did not work, because
> it's not a hole.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> best regards
>
> Picture 1:
> [image: Inline image 1]
>
> Picture 2 (idea picture, no gap)
> [image: Inline image 3]

> <image.png><image.png>

Michael Ellis (Managing Director)
Digital Scientific UK Ltd.
http://www.dsuk.biz <http://www.dsuk.biz/>
[hidden email]
tel: +44(0)1223 911215

The Commercial Centre
6 Green End
Cambridge
CB23 7DY

=== END OF EMAIL ===

PastedGraphic-1.tiff (1M) Download Attachment
PastedGraphic-2.tiff (1M) Download Attachment