possible risk in Fiji?

Mark Krebs-2
Hi,

I just updated Fiji (fiji-win32) and Symantec Endpoint Protection detected a risk (Bloodhound.Sonar.9).  Is this a true risk (that is, is Fiji infected or simply a false positive)?  A brief scan of the web suggests it's simply a false positive, but IT here wants to know for sure before they unquarantine the *.exe file.

Cheers,
Mark

Re: possible risk in Fiji?

dscho
Dear Mark,

On Fri, 14 Sep 2012, Mark Krebs wrote:

> I just updated Fiji (fiji-win32) and Symantec Endpoint Protection
> detected a risk (Bloodhound.Sonar.9).  Is this a true risk (that is, is
> Fiji infected or simply a false positive)?  A brief scan of the web
> suggests it's simply a false positive, but IT here wants to know for
> sure before they unquarantine the *.exe file.

I am happy to report that there is no risk.

The sadder news are that I was unable to sort out the issues with
Symantec. I spent substantial time on trying to get to some technical
support, wanting to explain that the Fiji launcher is built by a cross
compiler that we compiled ourselves on Linux. It is therefore extremely
unlikely that there is a virus or backdoor in the launcher.

In the meantime, the launcher has moved to ImageJ2 (but is of course still
used by Fiji) and it is no longer built by a cross compiler. However, it
is built by a GNU C compiler running in a virtual machine that serves as a
"Jenkins node", i.e. it is dedicated to building & testing ImageJ, Fiji
and ImageJ2 components. So again, it is *extremely* unlikely that a virus
could have found its way into the launcher.

Maybe you, as a paying customer of Symantec, are able to get them
interested in addressing the issue? My willingness to assist has not
changed one bit. I am eager to resolve this issue.

Ciao,
Johannes