java 9?

Kenneth Sloan-3
I need guidance from those who can predict the near term (1-2 year) prospects for ImageJ/FIJI.

The main issue is Java 9 and java support for TIF images.

I support work using a proprietary file format.  That proprietary system now has two major
incarnations.  One of these stores images in a primitive "array of image samples" format.  The newer
version represents most information in XML and uses associated files (usually .tif) to store images.

I'm trying to adapt my original Java class (which handles the primitive format) to seamlessly handle
the new format as well.  Ideally, I'd like to insulate user-level code from the differences in file format.
This code is also the basis of many custom ImageJ plugins.

So...my understanding is that TIF support is not stellar in Java, at least up to Java 8.  I understand that built-in support for TIF is in Java 9.

This would solve my problem, except that I want to remain compatible with ImageJ/FIJI.

The question for this forum is: is ImageJ/FIJI currently compatible with Java 9?  If not, will it be, soon?
Are there serious issues with major add-ons (like, say, TrakEM?) that militate AGAINST moving to Java 9?

I have a fall-back strategy that will work - but it's a bit ugly.  It will involve making user-level code for my low-level Class aware of the different file formats, in that they will have different access to the image data.  My ImageJ plugins can simply take the filenames and use ImageJ to open the images.  For these plugins, this is actually nicer than the current methods.  AND...it may well be that there will emerge *other* differences in the information present in the two file formats, so this awareness might be necessary, anyway.

So...guidance please...should I aim at Java 9, and if so, what do I need to pay attention to when dealing with ImageJ/FIJI, or, should I stick with a lower level of Java and simply bite the bullet on differing handling of images.

There's a third course - I have not had the need to push hard on this, but...how do other folk deal with TIF files in normal (that is, non-ImageJ) Java code?  Maybe I just need to learn how to do that?

Sigh...life was so much simpler 30 years ago, when I had reader/writer code for every known image file format.

--
Kenneth Sloan
[hidden email]