find command is broken after FIji update

find command is broken after FIji update

Aryeh Weiss
After the latet Fiji update, Plugins>Utilities>Find Commands... pops up
an error message "Unrecognized command: "Find Commands... "

I downloaded a new Fiji installation, and tested it with no additional
update sites. When it was downloaded, Find Commands worked.
After running the Fiji updater, Find Commands was again broken. On this
installation the only update sites that are selected are
ImageJ , Fiji , java-8.

My system is:

Macos 10.13.2

the newly downloaded Fiji is on Java 1.8.0_66
my existing Fiji is using Java 1.8.0_144

my IJ is the latest dalily build 1.51t15
the newly downloaded Fiji uses 1.51s

as noted above , both lose FInd Commands... following Fiji update.

As an aside - on my system Fiji takes a huge amount of time to
load, and sometimes I have to launch it a few times. When I launch it
using the debug alias, it seems to get stuck at

Not Eclipse because first entry is:
file:/Users/amw1/Desktop/newfiji/Fiji.app/jars/imagej-launcher-4.0.5.jar

thanks in advance for any advice on these problems.
--aryeh

--
Aryeh Weiss
Faculty of Engineering

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384051

Re: find command is broken after FIji update

ctrueden
Hi Aryeh,

> After the latet Fiji update, Plugins>Utilities>Find Commands... pops
> up an error message "Unrecognized command: "Find Commands... "

I know the cause of this bug, and will work on a fix tomorrow.

In the meantime, you can still access the Command Finder as follows:

* Go to Edit > Options > Search Bar...
* Uncheck the "Pressing L focuses the search bar" option
* Press OK, then restart ImageJ
* Then you can press L (or Ctrl+L) to launch the Command Finder as usual.

Alternately, if you leave that option checked, then pressing L (or Ctrl+L)
will instead focus the new search bar, which also finds commands in a
similar way.

If you find the new search bar inferior to the Command Finder, it would be
helpful to hear the reasons why, so that we can improve the situation.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden
LOCI software architect - https://loci.wisc.edu/software

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Aryeh Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After the latet Fiji update, Plugins>Utilities>Find Commands... pops up an
> error message "Unrecognized command: "Find Commands... "
>
> I downloaded a new Fiji installation, and tested it with no additional
> update sites. When it was downloaded, Find Commands worked.
> After running the Fiji updater, Find Commands was again broken. On this
> installation the only update sites that are selected are
> ImageJ , Fiji , java-8.
>
> My system is:
>
> Macos 10.13.2
>
> the newly downloaded Fiji is on Java 1.8.0_66
> my existing Fiji is using Java 1.8.0_144
>
> my IJ is the latest dalily build 1.51t15
> the newly downloaded Fiji uses 1.51s
>
> as noted above , both lose FInd Commands... following Fiji update.
>
> As an aside - on my system Fiji takes a huge amount of time to
> load, and sometimes I have to launch it a few times. When I launch it
> using the debug alias, it seems to get stuck at
>
> Not Eclipse because first entry is: file:/Users/amw1/Desktop/newfi
> ji/Fiji.app/jars/imagej-launcher-4.0.5.jar
>
> thanks in advance for any advice on these problems.
> --aryeh
>
> --
> Aryeh Weiss
> Faculty of Engineering
> Bar Ilan University
> Ramat Gan 52900 Israel
>
> Ph:  972-3-5317638
> FAX: 972-3-7384051

Re: find command is broken after FIji update

Aryeh Weiss
Hi Curtis

Thank you for your quick reply.

On 29/12/2017 2:22, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> Hi Aryeh,
>
> > After the latet Fiji update, Plugins>Utilities>Find Commands... pops
> > up an error message "Unrecognized command: "Find Commands... "
>
> I know the cause of this bug, and will work on a fix tomorrow.
>
> In the meantime, you can still access the Command Finder as follows:
>
> * Go to Edit > Options > Search Bar...
> * Uncheck the "Pressing L focuses the search bar" option
> * Press OK, then restart ImageJ
> * Then you can press L (or Ctrl+L) to launch the Command Finder as usual.
>
> Alternately, if you leave that option checked, then pressing L (or
> Ctrl+L) will instead focus the new search bar, which also finds
> commands in a similar way.

I like having the search bar attached to the Fiji home window, Since I
have a lot of plugins (more than I should, but whenever I see something
interesting I grab it) I set the default to display 20 entries. Of
course that is a matter of taste. I also embed in the main window,
because I tend to have to many windows open on my messy desktop, so I
dont want to keep track of another one...
> If you find the new search bar inferior to the Command Finder, it
> would be helpful to hear the reasons why, so that we can improve the
> situation.

So far it does not appear to lack anything I need. It is easier to see
the location with the new search bar than with the old interface,
because I do not have to enlarge the window to see the entire file path
entry.  Very nicely done.

Best regards
--aryeh

> Regards,
> Curtis
>
> --
> Curtis Rueden
> LOCI software architect - https://loci.wisc.edu/software
> ImageJ2 lead, Fiji maintainer - https://imagej.net/User:Rueden
> Did you know ImageJ has a forum? http://forum.imagej.net/
>

> On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Aryeh Weiss <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     After the latet Fiji update, Plugins>Utilities>Find Commands...
>     pops up an error message "Unrecognized command: "Find Commands... "
>
>     I downloaded a new Fiji installation, and tested it with no
>     additional update sites. When it was downloaded, Find Commands worked.
>     After running the Fiji updater, Find Commands was again broken. On
>     this installation the only update sites that are selected are
>     ImageJ , Fiji , java-8.
>
>     My system is:
>
>     Macos 10.13.2
>
>     the newly downloaded Fiji is on Java 1.8.0_66
>     my existing Fiji is using Java 1.8.0_144
>
>     my IJ is the latest dalily build 1.51t15
>     the newly downloaded Fiji uses 1.51s
>
>     as noted above , both lose FInd Commands... following Fiji update.
>
>     As an aside - on my system Fiji takes a huge amount of time to
>     load, and sometimes I have to launch it a few times. When I launch
>     it using the debug alias, it seems to get stuck at
>
>     Not Eclipse because first entry is:
>     file:/Users/amw1/Desktop/newfiji/Fiji.app/jars/imagej-launcher-4.0.5.jar
>
>     thanks in advance for any advice on these problems.
>     --aryeh
>
>     --
>     Aryeh Weiss
>     Faculty of Engineering
>     Bar Ilan University
>     Ramat Gan 52900 Israel
>
>     Ph:  972-3-5317638
>     FAX: 972-3-7384051
>

>     --

Aryeh Weiss
Faculty of Engineering
Bar Ilan University
Ramat Gan 52900 Israel

Ph:  972-3-5317638
FAX: 972-3-7384051

Re: find command is broken after FIji update

Wayne Rasband-2
> On Dec 28, 2017, at 3:19 PM, Aryeh Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> As an aside - on my system Fiji takes a huge amount of time to
> load, and sometimes I have to launch it a few times. When I launch it using the debug alias, it seems to get stuck at

This may be because ImageJ 1.51s does not display the main window until after running the AutoRun (in StartupMacros) and RunAtStartup (created by Edit>Options>Startup) macros. You can work around this problem by upgrading to ImageJ 1.51t, which runs these macros on a separate thread. Unlike earlier versions of ImageJ, ImageJ 1.51t runs the AutoRun and RunAtStartup macros on the same thread so they to not interfere with each other.

-wayne

Re: find command is broken after FIji update

ctrueden
Hi Aryeh & everyone,

> After the latet Fiji update, Plugins>Utilities>Find Commands... pops
> up an error message "Unrecognized command: "Find Commands... "

This bug is fixed in ImageJ 2.0.0-rc-64, available now from the ImageJ
Updater. For technical details, see
https://github.com/imagej/imagej-legacy/commit/bab66b8d.

> So far it does not appear to lack anything I need.

Great, glad to hear it is working well for you.

Regards,
Curtis

     On 29/12/2017 19:01, Wayne Rasband wrote:
>> On Dec 28, 2017, at 3:19 PM, Aryeh Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> As an aside - on my system Fiji takes a huge amount of time to
>> load, and sometimes I have to launch it a few times. When I launch it using the debug alias, it seems to get stuck at
> This may be because ImageJ 1.51s does not display the main window until after running the AutoRun (in StartupMacros) and RunAtStartup (created by Edit>Options>Startup) macros. You can work around this problem by upgrading to ImageJ 1.51t, which runs these macros on a separate thread. Unlike earlier versions of ImageJ, ImageJ 1.51t runs the AutoRun and RunAtStartup macros on the same thread so they to not interfere with each other.

I am running 1.51t21, and it appears to be a bit faster to start.
However, the first startup after rebooting the system still takes a
really long time.
Last night I decided to just let it sit, while I went to sleep. This
morning I see that it opened correctly, and the next run was quick to start.
I wonder if that may provide a hint at what is happening.

Best regards
--aryeh

--
Aryeh Weiss