Quantcast

Problem with reading Leica .lei files

JOEL B. SHEFFIELD
Greetings,

After many years of being able to read the Leica .lei files with LOCI, I
have suddenly been unable to open the files correctly.  I am running the
latest version of ImageJ, 32 bit, running on Java 1.6.0_25 and the latest
version of Loci tools.  When I drag or click on the .lei file, I see the
normal set of operations --ie. "reading base data, populating metadata
etc.", but then, instead of the usual LOCI menu, I get a single, two
channel image of a single plane.  The occurs even if I have multiple data
sets within the Leica directory.  Oddly, this happens on two of my
computers, one running XP and the other running Win7.  It does not happen
on a third computer, which is a tablet running XP.  MIght it be in the Java
installation?

Thanks for all of your help, as usual.

--

Joel B. Sheffield, Ph.D
Department of Biology

Re: Problem with reading Leica .lei files

Aurélien Dauphin
Hello,

If this help : the latest version of Loci is still working with .lei
files on an ImageJ 64 bits running openjdk-7-jre 7u15-2.3.7 on
Ubuntu1~12.04.1

Cheers
Aurélien

On 04/07/2013 07:15 PM, JOEL B. SHEFFIELD wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> After many years of being able to read the Leica .lei files with LOCI, I
> have suddenly been unable to open the files correctly.  I am running the
> latest version of ImageJ, 32 bit, running on Java 1.6.0_25 and the latest
> version of Loci tools.  When I drag or click on the .lei file, I see the
> normal set of operations --ie. "reading base data, populating metadata
> etc.", but then, instead of the usual LOCI menu, I get a single, two
> channel image of a single plane.  The occurs even if I have multiple data
> sets within the Leica directory.  Oddly, this happens on two of my
> computers, one running XP and the other running Win7.  It does not happen
> on a third computer, which is a tablet running XP.  MIght it be in the Java
> installation?
>
> Thanks for all of your help, as usual.

--
Dr. Aurélien Dauphin
Directeur adjoint

Re: Problem with reading Leica .lei files

Melissa Linkert-2
Hi Joel,

> After many years of being able to read the Leica .lei files with LOCI, I
> have suddenly been unable to open the files correctly.  I am running the
> latest version of ImageJ, 32 bit, running on Java 1.6.0_25 and the latest
> version of Loci tools.  When I drag or click on the .lei file, I see the
> normal set of operations --ie. "reading base data, populating metadata
> etc.", but then, instead of the usual LOCI menu, I get a single, two
> channel image of a single plane.  The occurs even if I have multiple data
> sets within the Leica directory.  Oddly, this happens on two of my
> computers, one running XP and the other running Win7.  It does not happen
> on a third computer, which is a tablet running XP.  MIght it be in the Java
> installation?

I would guess that either the two non-working computers have a different
version of Bio-Formats installed, or there is some other plugin
installed that reads .lei files.

What is the version number and build date shown in "Help > About Plugins > LOCI
Plugins"?  Is it the same for all three computers?

Do you see the same behavior if you open the dataset by clicking "Plugin >
LOCI > Bio-Formats Importer" and then choosing the .lei file?

Regards,
-Melissa

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 01:15:36PM -0400, JOEL B. SHEFFIELD wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> After many years of being able to read the Leica .lei files with LOCI, I
> have suddenly been unable to open the files correctly.  I am running the
> latest version of ImageJ, 32 bit, running on Java 1.6.0_25 and the latest
> version of Loci tools.  When I drag or click on the .lei file, I see the
> normal set of operations --ie. "reading base data, populating metadata
> etc.", but then, instead of the usual LOCI menu, I get a single, two
> channel image of a single plane.  The occurs even if I have multiple data
> sets within the Leica directory.  Oddly, this happens on two of my
> computers, one running XP and the other running Win7.  It does not happen
> on a third computer, which is a tablet running XP.  MIght it be in the Java
> installation?
>
> Thanks for all of your help, as usual.
>
> --
>

> Joel B. Sheffield, Ph.D
> Department of Biology
> Temple University
> Philadelphia, PA 19122
> Voice: 215 204 8839
> e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Problem with reading Leica .lei files

Melissa Linkert-2
Hi Joel,

> > The Loci tools Jar on the working computer is old, revision 6126, April
> > 2010 build, trunk release, installed 4/14/2010
> >
> > The version on the computer that does not work is f796122 built 2, Jan
> > 2012, Release 4.4 Dev, installed 4/4/2013

Note that the latest stable version is 4.4.6, from January 2013.

> > BUT.  I just copied the old version to my newer computer, first renaming
> > the existing jar file, and I get the same behavior.
> >
> > AND when I copy the newest build to the functioning computer, it works
> > fine.
> >
> > On both machines, the Java is 1.6.0., but on the computer that is
> > misbehaving, it is version _25 , according to the ImageJ header.
>
> Whoops, I forgot to add that if I go from the LOCI menu and select
> "importer", it seems to work fine.

I think that fairly safely rules out a problem with Bio-Formats.

It's possible that there is a plugin installed on the non-working
computer that takes precedence in opening Leica datasets, so I would suggest
making sure that the exact same plugins are installed on both computers.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then the only other thing I can think
of is that somehow on the non-working computer one of the TIFF files is being
dragged and dropped (instead of the .lei file).

Regards,
-Melissa