OpenDialog not displaying Title (mac only?)

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenDialog not displaying Title (mac only?)

Kenneth Sloan-3
I suspect this is old, but I've forgotten the answer.

On a mac (I think it's mac-only), OpenDialog fails to display the "title".

I have been reduced to code that looks like this:

  IJ.showStatus("Choose an image ...");
  od = new OpenDialog("Choose an image ...");

This seems like abuse of showStatus - but it works.  The problem is that new users don't often see the
message in the status bar (it is a bit unobtrusive).

so...is this a known bug?  Does it have a known (better than mine) workaround?

Perhaps IJ.showMessage(...) would be better, but that seems to entail an extra "dismiss" click from the users.  They don't like that.  Trained users .don't really need the prompt, and new users often don't SEE the prompt.

--
Kenneth Sloan
[hidden email]
Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.






--
ImageJ mailing list: http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/list.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenDialog not displaying Title (mac only?)

ctrueden
Hi Kenneth,

It is a design decision of newer versions of macOS. The native file chooser
simply does not have a title bar anymore.

One workaround is to enable the "Use JFileChooser to open/save" option in
Edit > Options > Input/Output.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden
LOCI software architect - https://loci.wisc.edu/software
ImageJ2 lead, Fiji maintainer - https://imagej.net/User:Rueden
Did you know ImageJ has a forum? http://forum.imagej.net/


On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Kenneth Sloan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I suspect this is old, but I've forgotten the answer.
>
> On a mac (I think it's mac-only), OpenDialog fails to display the "title".
>
> I have been reduced to code that looks like this:
>
>   IJ.showStatus("Choose an image ...");
>   od = new OpenDialog("Choose an image ...");
>
> This seems like abuse of showStatus - but it works.  The problem is that
> new users don't often see the
> message in the status bar (it is a bit unobtrusive).
>
> so...is this a known bug?  Does it have a known (better than mine)
> workaround?
>
> Perhaps IJ.showMessage(...) would be better, but that seems to entail an
> extra "dismiss" click from the users.  They don't like that.  Trained users
> .don't really need the prompt, and new users often don't SEE the prompt.
>
> --
> Kenneth Sloan
> [hidden email]
> Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> ImageJ mailing list: http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/list.html
>

--
ImageJ mailing list: http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/list.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenDialog not displaying Title (mac only?)

Kenneth Sloan-3
Yes, well, in the past, I've also had serious issues with JFileChooser.  Probably fixed by now, but "once burned, twice shy".

I think I'll muddle along with showStatus().

Thanks for confirming my spotty memory.

--
Kenneth Sloan
[hidden email]
Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.





> On 26 Feb 2018, at 15:37 , Curtis Rueden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Kenneth,
>
> It is a design decision of newer versions of macOS. The native file chooser
> simply does not have a title bar anymore.
>
> One workaround is to enable the "Use JFileChooser to open/save" option in
> Edit > Options > Input/Output.
>
> Regards,
> Curtis
>
> --
> LOCI software architect - https://loci.wisc.edu/software
> ImageJ2 lead, Fiji maintainer - https://imagej.net/User:Rueden
> Did you know ImageJ has a forum? http://forum.imagej.net/
>
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Kenneth Sloan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I suspect this is old, but I've forgotten the answer.
>>
>> On a mac (I think it's mac-only), OpenDialog fails to display the "title".
>>
>> I have been reduced to code that looks like this:
>>
>>  IJ.showStatus("Choose an image ...");
>>  od = new OpenDialog("Choose an image ...");
>>
>> This seems like abuse of showStatus - but it works.  The problem is that
>> new users don't often see the
>> message in the status bar (it is a bit unobtrusive).
>>
>> so...is this a known bug?  Does it have a known (better than mine)
>> workaround?
>>
>> Perhaps IJ.showMessage(...) would be better, but that seems to entail an
>> extra "dismiss" click from the users.  They don't like that.  Trained users
>> .don't really need the prompt, and new users often don't SEE the prompt.
>>
>> --
>> Kenneth Sloan
>> [hidden email]
>> Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> ImageJ mailing list: http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/list.html
>>
>
> --
> ImageJ mailing list: http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/list.html

--
ImageJ mailing list: http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/list.html