New User, Measure Distance Between Intersecting Lines

New User, Measure Distance Between Intersecting Lines

Kevin
Hi,

I am brand new to ImageJ and I would like to measure the width of many
different domains and calculate the average domain width in the sample. I
was wondering if I could measure the distance between intersecting lines,
like in the photo I provided, however, I do not know how to do that in
ImageJ.

I would appreciate any advice or resources to point me in the right
direction.

Thanks

<http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/file/t382021/FePd_ordered_1_lines.jpg>

--
Sent from: http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/

Re: New User, Measure Distance Between Intersecting Lines

anusuya pal
Hello,

One suggestion I can give you:
Make the image binary first so that the width is of white color and rest is
black. Now, if you draw a line across the width, and plot it, you will see
two peaks at the ends of the width. Substraction of the peak values will
give you the estimate of the distance between the intersecting lines.

Note that make the image binary will show less chance of error in the
estimation.

Thanks
Anu

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018, 4:57 PM Kevin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am brand new to ImageJ and I would like to measure the width of many
> different domains and calculate the average domain width in the sample. I
> was wondering if I could measure the distance between intersecting lines,
> like in the photo I provided, however, I do not know how to do that in
> ImageJ.
>
> I would appreciate any advice or resources to point me in the right
> direction.
>
> Thanks
>
> <http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/file/t382021/FePd_ordered_1_lines.jpg>
>

> --
> Sent from: http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/

Re: New User, Measure Distance Between Intersecting Lines

Michael Schmid-3
Hi Kevin,

without answering your question directly  (I don't know whether someone
has a nice solution for that):
There might be an alternative:
- Create a line profile perpendicular to the stripes, with a large line
width (double-click the line tool)
- Get the line profile and determine the width of the bright regions
there. E.g. the you could define the transition as where the profile
height is halfway between the minimum and maximum. Make sure that
intensity is not saturated in the bright stripes, otherwise the profile
height that you take will depend on how much it is overexposed.
Alternatively, you could try to use the inflection points of the profile
as the position of the boundaries.

You could write a short macro for this or use some other programming
language of your choice to analyze the line profiles.

For the ImageJ macro language, see
   https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/developer/index.html
   https://imagej.net/Introduction_into_Macro_Programming

Two macro functions that you will need:
   https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/developer/macro/functions.html#getProfile

https://imagej.nih.gov/ij/developer/macro/functions.html#getSelectionCoordinates
(the latter for determining the length of the line selection, where the
profile was taken).