Quantcast

License to AuPbSn40.jpg image

Radim Burget
Dear all,
I am just preparing book related to ImageJ which are about to be published
by be published by Taylor & Francis.
I cannot find information regarding to license to the Image:
http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/images/AuPbSn40.jpg

Is it released under the public domain license? Am I allowed to include
this figure in ImageJ experiemnts?

Best regards,
Radim Burget

Re: License to AuPbSn40.jpg image

Gabriel Landini
On Friday 22 Mar 2013 08:04:48 Radim Burget wrote:
> I am just preparing book related to ImageJ which are about to be published
> by be published by Taylor & Francis.
> I cannot find information regarding to license to the Image:
> http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/images/AuPbSn40.jpg
>
> Is it released under the public domain license? Am I allowed to include
> this figure in ImageJ experiemnts?

For re-publishing I guess that you need to get permission from the image
*creator*. There is no way round that if you want to be in the clear.

I do not think that the images in the IJ samples menu are all public domain.
While they might fall under "fair use" when using IJ, or the owner not
bothered about their use, as soon as you reproduce them, I understand that
that they fall (at least in the UK) under some kid of licensing. At least for
educational institutions there are copy and scan licensing schemes. This might
be messy to sort out after the publication is done, so better find out first.

Sometimes even for images from old paintings, the photographer can claim
copyright of the shot (see for example postcards sold at museums) they all
have copyright notices.

In particular the Lena image is certainly not "public domain" despite it being
widely used in many imaging papers.
I know I have seen the clown, blobs and boats images elsewhere. I have no
idea what is their origin. They also might be covered by a the copyright of
the first publication where they were used unless specified that they were PD.

Best bet is using your own images.

Gabriel