Importing MOV Fails

Anthony Andriano
Hello,

I've been trying to import an MOV video into ImageJ (Fiji) for several
hours without success. I've tried the Quicktime plugin, 32 and 64 bit
ImageJ, converting to AVI/MP4/MJPEG and many other formats, but nothing
I've tried has worked. The reported error is either something along the
lines of 'Unsupported' or what looks like a stack dump from JRE.

I've been successfully using a camera that outputs videos with the
following attributes (found via GSpot 2.70a):

   - AVI v1.0
   - Codec c,S: DIB (_RGB)
   - Codec Name: BI_RGB Raw Bitmap

My new camera can't output that format apparently, so I'm trying to convert
an MOV, which it can output easily, into a format ImageJ (Fiji) will
understand and accept. I uploaded my video here if anyone wants to take a
look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nndt0ye8k2c61sm/IMG_2472.MOV?dl=0

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate help with this.

Thanks,
Tony

Re: Importing MOV Fails

Dianne Patterson
Try converting the mov to mp4...mp4 is smaller, and generally more
compatible,
Check out handbrake for conversion: https://handbrake.fr/

-Dianne

On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 7:09 PM Anthony Andriano <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to import an MOV video into ImageJ (Fiji) for several
> hours without success. I've tried the Quicktime plugin, 32 and 64 bit
> ImageJ, converting to AVI/MP4/MJPEG and many other formats, but nothing
> I've tried has worked. The reported error is either something along the
> lines of 'Unsupported' or what looks like a stack dump from JRE.
>
> I've been successfully using a camera that outputs videos with the
> following attributes (found via GSpot 2.70a):
>
>    - AVI v1.0
>    - Codec c,S: DIB (_RGB)
>    - Codec Name: BI_RGB Raw Bitmap
>
> My new camera can't output that format apparently, so I'm trying to convert
> an MOV, which it can output easily, into a format ImageJ (Fiji) will
> understand and accept. I uploaded my video here if anyone wants to take a
> look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nndt0ye8k2c61sm/IMG_2472.MOV?dl=0
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate help with this.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Dianne Patterson, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
or
[hidden email]
University of Arizona
Speech and Hearing Science 314
1131 E 2nd Street, Building #71
(Just East of Harvill)
==============
If you don't hear back from me (and you expected to),
I blame the University's new SPAM filter.
Please write to my gmail account.

Re: Importing MOV Fails

Michael Schmid-3
Hi Tony,

your Video is H264 compressed; changing to some other container (like
AVI) alone does not help.
I use plain ImageJ, not Fiji, so I don't know whether File>Import>Movie
(FFMPEG) can do it, but I think it should. If you don't have it use the
update site. See
   https://imagej.net/Video

If not, you can convert it to uncompressed AVI, e.g.

ffmpeg -i 'IMG_2472.MOV' -pix_fmt nv12 -f avi -vcodec rawvideo IMG_2472.avi

The uncompressed movie file can be read by plain ImageJ, but it will be
about two orders of magnitude lager than the H264-compressed version.