How to measure Directness or Straightness of processes of neurons?

How to measure Directness or Straightness of processes of neurons?

avarone
I'm going crazy, I would like to find a way to measure the directness or how
straight the lines drawn on imagej are (see image attached). Does anyone
know how to do it?

Many thanks in advance,

Anna

<http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/file/t382123/imagej_directness_question.png>

--
Sent from: http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/

Re: How to measure Directness or Straightness of processes of neurons?

Robert Vannucci
I would think that you would have no problem tracing the axon with the
freehand line tool.  It might take a little practice.
If you have a Mac without a right hand click, you can select the freehand
line tool from the straight line by holding down the Control key.
Then select.
PS.  This is my first response to a question regarding Imagej.  It should
be fun
Bob Vannucci at FAU and Weil Cornell.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 3:02 PM avarone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm going crazy, I would like to find a way to measure the directness or
> how
> straight the lines drawn on imagej are (see image attached). Does anyone
> know how to do it?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Anna
>
> <
> http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/file/t382123/imagej_directness_question.png>
>

> --
> Sent from: http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/

Re: How to measure Directness or Straightness of processes of neurons?

Straub, Volko A. (Dr.)
Hi Anna,

Not quite sure what sort of measure you are looking for. But you could measure the length of the line that you have drawn and then also calculate the distance between the two endpoints of your line. The ratio of the two measurements could be taken as a measure of straightness with a completely straight line having a ratio of 1.

Hope this helps,

Volko

________________________________

Re: How to measure Directness or Straightness of processes of neurons?

Andrew-2
Anna,

I think you are looking for the tortuosity of the line (as a guess). Volko
is right, but there is a plugin to do this: The analyze skeleton plugin (
https://imagej.net/AnalyzeSkeleton) can determine the branch length and
euclidean distance, which combined I believe can give an indication of the
tortuosity (though from what I gather there are better ways to quantify
this, but they are not available in ImageJ).

Andrew