How to Synchronize Windows pan and zoom

Stein Rørvik
Under Analyze - Tools we have a "Synchronize Windows" command.

I can't get its "Image Coordinates" and "Image Scaling" choice to work as expected.

What I want to achieve is synchronization of the image's scroll and zoom properties.
So if I have several windows open, and zoom in, I want the other windows to be zoomed in to the same level.
I assume that is what is meant with "Image Scaling", or have I misunderstood this?

Also, when I pan the zoomed in images (using the hand tool) I want each image to be scrolled to the same position.
I assume that is what the "Image Coordinates" is meant for, or have I misunderstood this too?

If these choices were not meant for this, it would be useful to have additional checkboxes for
"Image Zoom" and "Image Scroll" as well.

Stein

Re: How to Synchronize Windows pan and zoom

Wayne Rasband-2
> On Sep 24, 2018, at 9:35 AM, Stein Rørvik <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Under Analyze - Tools we have a "Synchronize Windows" command.
>
> I can't get its "Image Coordinates" and "Image Scaling" choice to work as expected.
>
> What I want to achieve is synchronization of the image's scroll and zoom properties.
> So if I have several windows open, and zoom in, I want the other windows to be zoomed in to the same level.
> I assume that is what is meant with "Image Scaling", or have I misunderstood this?

It works for me if I zoom in using the magnifying class tool and pan by holding down the space bar. I did not need to check "Image Scaling”. In the latest ImageJ daily build (1.52h19), the “+” and “-“ keys can also be used for synchronized zooming.

-wayne

> Also, when I pan the zoomed in images (using the hand tool) I want each image to be scrolled to the same position.
> I assume that is what the "Image Coordinates" is meant for, or have I misunderstood this too?
>
> If these choices were not meant for this, it would be useful to have additional checkboxes for
> "Image Zoom" and "Image Scroll" as well.
>
> Stein

Re: How to Synchronize Windows pan and zoom

Stein Rørvik
I only tested zooming with the + and - keys, so you are right. Zooming with the magnifying glass worked also before. With the + and - keys it also works in the latest build, thanks.

However, the "Image Scaling" checkbox does not seem to have any effect with either method of zooming. I think we should have a way to turn the synchronized zoom behaviour on and off, because it is not desirable in all cases. For example, it is useful to have the same image opened twice and then work on a magnified view in one window, keeping a zoomed out full view as overview in another. In other cases, where the images represent the same object acquired using different imaging methods, it makes sense to synchronize the zoom.

Stein