Fwd: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?

Fwd: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?

Kenneth Sloan-3
never got a request to confirm.  Trying again
--
Kenneth Sloan
[hidden email]

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Kenneth Sloan <[hidden email]>
> Subject: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?
> Date: June 20, 2019 at 12:00:42 PDT
> To: ImageJ Interest Group <[hidden email]>
>
> context: JAVA plugin (not macro)
>
> I am using a NonBlockingGenericDialog.  I use addChoice() to create a popup menu item.  My list of options is longer than the default menu size.  Can I modify the size of the menu to eliminate scrolling by the user?
>
> Here's the relevant snippet of Java code:
>
>   NonBlockingGenericDialog nbgd = new NonBlockingGenericDialog("annotate");
>                    nbgd.addChoice("LRP feature",knownRetinalLayers,null);
>                    nbgd.addStringField("other/modifier","");
>                    nbgd.setLocation(dialogLocationX,dialogLocationY);
>                    nbgd.showDialog();
>
> My list of labels currently has 16 entries.  I would like for ALL of them to appear when the user pulls down the menu.
>

> --
> Kenneth Sloan
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.

Re: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?

Michael Schmid-3
Hi Kenneth,

ImageJ uses java.AWT, the native toolkit of the operating system.

The length of the list displayed on the screen for a java.awt.Choice is
determined by the operating system and/or java.awt, not by ImageJ. I see
not Java method to modify this. On my system (Linux Ubuntu 16.04) I can
see a maximum of 10 items.

The only way out that I see would be manually creating a PopupMenu;
these show all items. You could show it e.g. when pressing some button
(like, e.g., the More>> button of the RoiManager), and you could add the
button to a Panel, which can be added to the GenericDialog. But that
would be a nasty hack...

On 21.06.19 08:30, Kenneth Sloan wrote:

> never got a request to confirm.  Trying again
> --
> Kenneth Sloan
> [hidden email]
> Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.
>

>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: Kenneth Sloan <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?
>> Date: June 20, 2019 at 12:00:42 PDT
>> To: ImageJ Interest Group <[hidden email]>
>>
>> context: JAVA plugin (not macro)
>>
>> I am using a NonBlockingGenericDialog.  I use addChoice() to create a popup menu item.  My list of options is longer than the default menu size.  Can I modify the size of the menu to eliminate scrolling by the user?
>>
>> Here's the relevant snippet of Java code:
>>
>>   NonBlockingGenericDialog nbgd = new NonBlockingGenericDialog("annotate");
>>                     nbgd.addChoice("LRP feature",knownRetinalLayers,null);
>>                     nbgd.addStringField("other/modifier","");
>>                     nbgd.setLocation(dialogLocationX,dialogLocationY);
>>                     nbgd.showDialog();
>>
>> My list of labels currently has 16 entries.  I would like for ALL of them to appear when the user pulls down the menu.
>>

>> --
>> Kenneth Sloan
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.

Re: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?

Kenneth Sloan-3
Thank you for the reply.  I will train my users to scroll.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 19:09 Michael Schmid <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Kenneth,
>
> ImageJ uses java.AWT, the native toolkit of the operating system.
>
> The length of the list displayed on the screen for a java.awt.Choice is
> determined by the operating system and/or java.awt, not by ImageJ. I see
> not Java method to modify this. On my system (Linux Ubuntu 16.04) I can
> see a maximum of 10 items.
>
> The only way out that I see would be manually creating a PopupMenu;
> these show all items. You could show it e.g. when pressing some button
> (like, e.g., the More>> button of the RoiManager), and you could add the
> button to a Panel, which can be added to the GenericDialog. But that
> would be a nasty hack...
>

> Michael
> On 21.06.19 08:30, Kenneth Sloan wrote:
> > never got a request to confirm.  Trying again
> > --
> > Kenneth Sloan
> > [hidden email]
> > Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.
> >

> >> Begin forwarded message:
> >>
> >> From: Kenneth Sloan <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?
> >> Date: June 20, 2019 at 12:00:42 PDT
> >> To: ImageJ Interest Group <[hidden email]>
> >>
> >> context: JAVA plugin (not macro)
> >>
> >> I am using a NonBlockingGenericDialog.  I use addChoice() to create a
> popup menu item.  My list of options is longer than the default menu size.
> Can I modify the size of the menu to eliminate scrolling by the user?
> >>
> >> Here's the relevant snippet of Java code:
> >>
> >>                 NonBlockingGenericDialog nbgd = new
> NonBlockingGenericDialog("annotate");
> >>                     nbgd.addChoice("LRP
> feature",knownRetinalLayers,null);
> >>                     nbgd.addStringField("other/modifier","");
> >>                     nbgd.setLocation(dialogLocationX,dialogLocationY);
> >>                     nbgd.showDialog();
> >>
> >> My list of labels currently has 16 entries.  I would like for ALL of
> them to appear when the user pulls down the menu.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Kenneth Sloan
> >> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> >> Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.

Re: extend length of popup menu in (NonBlocking)GenericDialog?

Norbert Vischer-2
Hello Kenneth,

Since version 1.52k, you can use a table of any length for interactive input,
I already used it for a similar case. See
http://wsr.imagej.net/macros/TableSelectionDemo.txt

Norbert