File.openDialog("Select a file"): missing message in OS X El Capitan?

File.openDialog("Select a file"): missing message in OS X El Capitan?

vischer
Hello all,

there appears to be a difference between OS X versions:

macro command: File.openDialog("Select a file")

1)  Yosemite:
        message   "Select a file" is shown  (plus the three top-left bullets with"green" active)
2) El Capitan:
        No message and no bullets.

Often the message contains important information. So if
there is no work-around, I am going to precede this with a showMessage(msg)

Norbert Vischer

Re: File.openDialog("Select a file"): missing message in OS X El Capitan?

Guy Lyons
I have the same issue with messages in getDirectory("message") and
File.openDialog("message"). Macros that prompt the user with a message in
Yosemite just have a folder window without a message in El Capitan.

vischer wrote

> Hello all,
>
> there appears to be a difference between OS X versions:
>
> macro command: File.openDialog("Select a file")
>

> 1)  Yosemite:
> message   "Select a file" is shown  (plus the three top-left bullets
> with"green" active)
> 2) El Capitan:
> No message and no bullets.
>
> Often the message contains important information. So if
> there is no work-around, I am going to precede this with a
> showMessage(msg)
>
> Norbert Vischer

Sent from: http://imagej.1557.x6.nabble.com/

Re: File.openDialog("Select a file"): missing message in OS X El Capitan?

Bill Christens-Barry-2
Norbert,

On Macos 10.12.6 (Sierra) and Java 1.6.0_65 here, no message or colored dots appears. Only a title-less navigation dialog appears, identical to what is seen when the "File>Open..." menu item is used.

Bill Christens-Barry

Re: File.openDialog("Select a file"): missing message in OS X El Capitan?

ctrueden
Hi all,

This is a limitation of macOS now: file choosers simply do not have a title
bar anymore.

I added a Troubleshooting entry about it:
    https://imagej.net/MacOS#No_title_bar_in_file_chooser_dialogs

As a workaround, you can check "Use JFileChooser to open/save" in the Edit
 ▶ Options  ▶ Input/Output... dialog.

Regards,
Curtis

--