Error on image using

jimmy28year@gmail.com
Hi,

When i click image by line selection or point selection , it shows "The Cut
and Copy commands require an area selection, or no selection".

Is anyone know why it comes up frequently?

Jimmy

Re: Error on image using

Michael Schmid
On Aug 15, 2013, at 14:46, Bin Wei wrote:

> When i click image by line selection or point selection , it shows "The Cut
> and Copy commands require an area selection, or no selection".

Hi Jimmy,

ImageJ won't copy the image contents along a line or the single pixel(s) of a (multi-)point selection.
If you need to copy the image data along a line, use Edit>Selection>Line to Area.

One might consider copying the full image if there is a point or line selection.
I am not sure, however, whether some people won't be irritated that ImageJ does not honor the selection when copying in this case.

Re: Error on image using

jimmy28year@gmail.com
Hi Michael,

I use edit-selection-straighten for extract part of images. Line to Area
images is not square, and i will need to rotate and cut it later.

Jimmy

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Michael Schmid <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2013, at 14:46, Bin Wei wrote:
>
> > When i click image by line selection or point selection , it shows "The
> Cut
> > and Copy commands require an area selection, or no selection".
>
> Hi Jimmy,
>
> ImageJ won't copy the image contents along a line or the single pixel(s)
> of a (multi-)point selection.
> If you need to copy the image data along a line, use Edit>Selection>Line
> to Area.
>
> One might consider copying the full image if there is a point or line
> selection.
> I am not sure, however, whether some people won't be irritated that ImageJ
> does not honor the selection when copying in this case.
>
> Michael

Re: Error on image using

Rasband, Wayne (NIH/NIMH) [E]
On Aug 15, 2013, at 8:46 AM, Bin Wei wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When i click image by line selection or point selection , it shows "The Cut
> and Copy commands require an area selection, or no selection".
>
> Is anyone know why it comes up frequently?

Are you inadvertently using the "x" (Edit>Cut) or "c" (Edit>Copy) keyboard shortcuts? You can minimize this problem by enabling the "Require control key for shortcuts" option in Edit>Options>Misc.

To be more consistent with other commands, Edit>Copy in the ImageJ 1.48b daily build copies the entire image if there is a line or point selection. The Edit>Cut command displays the message "This command requires an area selection".

-wayne

Re: Error on image using

jimmy28year@gmail.com
Actually not. I rarely use X or C. But your suggestion actually works for
me. I think what happening is while dragging by line or point selection
triggers the command "CUT or COPY need an area selection". While Cut and
Copy command will recognize the action and try to complete the commands
with no delay.