Quantcast

Colouring a black and white image

ashamim
Hello Everyone

This might be a silly question but I was wondering if there is any plugin in imageJ which is smart enough to detect the boundaries and fill in the colours with same intensity. For example If I have a black and white image of a face and I want to colour it and lets say if I click on the lips the plugin should be smart enough to recognize the boundaries of the lips and fill in the colour of my choice which same intensities as that of the black and white image. I.e. if in the original image the lips are dark at one end may be because of some shadow the filled colour absorbs the same properties. I just wanted to study if it would be possible for me to write something like this.

Regards
Ahsan

Re: Colouring a black and white image

Cammer, Michael
Photoshop CS3, 4 or 5 is the way to go for this.  It has many options for segmenting and blending edges.  And you can do the colors in layers for subtle editing.
-Michael

This email message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is proprietary, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by return email and delete the original message. Please note, the recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The organization accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
=================================

Re: Colouring a black and white image

Peter Haub
Hi Ahsan,

here are some links to some pdf's describing things which are at least
very close to what you are looking for:

http://hci.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/MIP/Teaching/computational_photography/paper_koethe/levin_04_colorization.pdf
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.65.7003&rep=rep1&type=pdf
http://www.fusion2004.foi.se/papers/IF04-1066.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_mapping
http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/projects/image-analogies/colorize.html
http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~vislab/papers/colorize-sig02.pdf

Regards,
Peter

On 24.08.2011 21:49, ashamim wrote:

> Hello Everyone
>
> This might be a silly question but I was wondering if there is any plugin in
> imageJ which is smart enough to detect the boundaries and fill in the
> colours with same intensity. For example If I have a black and white image
> of a face and I want to colour it and lets say if I click on the lips the
> plugin should be smart enough to recognize the boundaries of the lips and
> fill in the colour of my choice which same intensities as that of the black
> and white image. I.e. if in the original image the lips are dark at one end
> may be because of some shadow the filled colour absorbs the same properties.
> I just wanted to study if it would be possible for me to write something
> like this.
>
> Regards
> Ahsan
>
> -----
> Ahsan

Re: Colouring a black and white image

Michael Schmid-3
Hi Ahsan,

if your objects have boundaries with rather sharp edges (strong
gradient) you could try the Versatile Wand, it can stop the selection
at sharp gradients (click inside the object of interest, then select
its options and use 'preview' to select the value and gradient
tolerance).

Sometimes the Thresholded Blue filter can help you to get sharper
boundaries of the objects.

Both plugins are at http://imagejdocu.tudor.lu/doku.php?id=plugin:start

If you want to have colors with the same intensity as the B&W image,
convert your image to a HSB stack, leave the B(rightness) channel
unchanged and modify the H(ue) & S(aturation) to the desired values
using 'Fill' or Process>Math>Set.