AI and Digital Microscopy meeting

Gabriel Landini
AI and Digital Microscopy,  25-26 June 2018, University of Exeter, Exeter.

A two-day multidisciplinary meeting centred on application of Artificial
Intelligence (AI) methods in Digital Microscopy will be held at the University
of Exeter on 25-26 June, 2018. The meeting is hosted as part of the project
"Novel context-based segmentation algorithms for intelligent microscopy",
funded by the EPSRC at the Universities of Birmingham and Exeter.

Organising Committee: David A Randell, Gabriel Landini and Antony Galton.

Please see: http://mecourse.com/landinig/ai/

*Rationale*
Digital microscopy and image processing have revolutionised many analytical
approaches to the analysis of cells and tissues, and contributed to resolving
a wide range of problems, from experimental cell research to cancer diagnosis.
However automated interpretation of image contents remains an important
challenge. This is where AI could provide formal techniques and algorithms
(such as spatial logics, constraint-based methods, explicit ontologies and
machine learning algorithms) to represent, encode and mechanically reason
about information and interpret the contents of histological images. This is
essential to support expert observers, provide quantitative approaches (for
reproducible results) and free users from performing otherwise repetitive
tasks to achieve the goal of fast, reproducible and quantitative analytical
methods.

Images in digital microscopy range from small, single field captures to ‘whole
slide images’ typically requiring gigabytes of memory to process, and this
represents a further challenge in finding ways to efficiently represent and
encode information that is relevant to the histological models used to
interpret them.

This multidisciplinary meeting aims to provide a unique opportunity for
networking, discussing problems, sharing and showcasing AI techniques that are
directly related to the processing of microscopy digital images for a new
generation of intelligent cytological and histopathological analyses.

*Date and Venue*
The meeting will be held on Monday 25th and Tuesday 26th of June, 2018, at the
Reed Hall Conference Centre, Streatham Campus, University of Exeter. Reed Hall
is located in extensive grounds and gardens and is well-located and a popular
venue to host meetings and day conferences.

*Format of the meeting*
The meeting is *free* (registration is essential), it includes coffee and tea,
and lunch for the two days. It will not cover either accommodation or travel
costs.
The event will be limited to a maximum of 50 attendees on a first-come first-
served basis and priority will be given to those presenting and to those
attending both days.

There will be talks by invited speakers as well as the opportunity to make
short presentations by participants and group discussions. The number of
presentations will be limited to 21 and subject to approval by the Organising
Committee. We welcome presentations of new or existing work.

Confirmed invited speaker:
Prof. Nasir M. Rajpoot, University of Warwick. The Promise of Computational
Pathology.

One session will showcase the activity of the supporting project in the
following areas:
   * Machine learning applied to light microscopy sections,
   * Mathematical Morphology and Discrete Mereotopology,
   * Resolving segmentation errors
   * Formal ontology of histological imagery.
(Full programme to follow)

*Registration and important dates*
As places are limited, early registration is essential. Please email:
[hidden email] and provide (details will only be used for registration
purposes):

  .  name and affiliation (e.g. University/Department),
  .  contact telephone number,
  .  e-mail address,
  .  an indication of intention to submit a presentation.

Oral presentations by participants will be strictly limited to a maximum of
10mins each (6mins presentation + 4mins for questions).

Please submit the abstract of the proposed presentation in PDF format (maximum
one page A4, font size 11) to [hidden email] by the 15th of May.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent by 31st of May and the final
presentation documents in PowerPoint or PDF format should be sent to the
organisers by the 18th of June.

For further information including accommodation and getting to Exeter and Reed
Hall, please go to: http://mecourse.com/landinig/ai/
- - -

Re: AI and Digital Microscopy meeting

ctrueden
Hi Gabriel,

I added this meeting to the Upcoming Events page on the wiki.

  https://imagej.net/Upcoming_Events

To anyone announcing meetings, conferences, symposia, workshops, courses,
etc.: please feel welcome to add your entries there as well.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden